FM approvals are the independent testing arm of the international insurance carrier, FM Global. FM approvals use scientific research and testing to make sure products conform to the highest standards for safety and property loss prevention. Products that pass get the “FM APPROVED” mark. Think of it as like the SABS seal of approval, only better.
Here’s what FM approvals focuses on:
- Objectively testing property loss prevention products and services and certifying those that meet rigorous loss prevention standards
- Encouraging the development and use of FM Approved products and services that improve and advance property loss prevention practices
FM approvals follows these five steps to make sure the products they’re testing meet quality guidelines:
- Manufacturer request
- Proposal issue and manufacturer authorization
- Review, testing and first audit
- Report FM Approved mark and listing
- Follow-up audits
Factory Mutual Research Corp. is the FM Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) which conducts pipe and fittings testing for FM Global Inc.
Fire protection system components are rigorously tested to ensure that all approved products pass the aggressive level of FM performance, efficiency and quality requirements